Thursday, May 25, 2017

Up & Coming Talent: Todd Hurst



Tired of that
lackluster nine to five job? Don’t
worry...here is some inspiration to
kickstart your dreams.


       We’ve all seen them. These incredibly talented celebrities out there that are living the dream. They get to do what they love...as a career. Who does that?!
       The answer to that question is...everyone should do what they love. But the faith to follow down that path can sometimes be overwhelming. Will you be able to make a solid career and live off of your dream?
       It has been said that everything that you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear. You need to live fearlessly. Easier said than done, am I right?
       But the truth in the matter is that you don’t get anywhere in life without a little courage. The thought of failure, especially at something  you are passionate about, can cause anyone to have a nervous breakdown. I myself was a little worried about starting my writing career. But you power through any turmoil and nay-sayers, because this is what you want to do. And you CAN do it.
       Whether you are a highly sought-after actress like Sarah Michelle Gellar and want to start a baking business known as Foodstirs, or you are a small town girl with dreams of becoming one of the state’s best wedding planners and create a business called Simply Gypsy Events, you should follow your dreams. Maybe you want to start a calligraphy business called Ivory Ink Co., or you are Reese Witherspoon and you want to start your own clothing line named after your grandparents, Draper James. There are numerous examples of people that actually go for what they want, so why shouldn’t you?
       We chatted with some up and coming stars about their journey with doing what they love to do. These artists are forging their own destiny one show at a time. Audience after audience and song after song, they make their way into hearts of new fans everywhere.
       When you think about all of the people they have met and the places they have seen, who wouldn’t want to follow their path. We spend the majority of our adult, and sometimes adolescent years, at work. So why not enjoy what you are doing. We get this one chance on Earth to make the best of our time here. So, go start following your dreams.



Todd Hurst

 

 

      He seems like your best friend, because he is so interactive with the crowd. But that is the great thing about Todd Hurst. He’s energetic, charismic, and one hell of a great singer.
      After swooning a portion of our staff, I had the pleasure to talk to Todd about life, music, and guilty pleasures.

Improper Adult: What got you started with music?
Todd Hurst: Growing up...just hearing all of the music that I was raised on, and wanting to do that. Trying that glitz and glamour part of it I guess, but also being able to create something that people can relate to. Having that sound that whenever you hear the melody of a song, you just think back to a memory of that time. I remembers songs that I grew up to with those memories. I think just having that, drove me towards playing an instrument. Guitar was the thing. My dad played a little bit when I was younger, and I have other family members that play, so I was just drawn to the guitar.

IA: What was the first song that you learned to play/sing?
TH: One of the first songs was “More Than Words” by Extreme, which is a very odd song to be the first song. It might have been “My Girl.” One of those two...yeah, totally random.

IA: I know you said your dad played and other family members, was there anyone specifically in your family or an artist that was your musical role model?
TH: I think, growing up as a kid, I really enjoyed watching my uncle play. He played more than my dad, so it was fun watching him.  He would grab a guitar and play whatever songs you wanted, which I thought was pretty cool. That definitely drew me to it. From an artist standpoint, I love Buddy Holly. Listening to his music and hearing what he did, really made me want to play.

IA: Do you play any other instruments?
TH: I can play a little bit of piano and a little bit of harmonica. There are so many other instruments that I want to play, I just lack patience.

IA: Do you write all of your original songs yourself?
TH: I do. Yeah, the words I will typically write. There are a few writing partners; we will occasionally work together. From a music standpoint, I kind of start with the shell, then some other people come in and throw some layers on top of that. But yeah, most of the lyrics from like 95% of the songs that I write, are written solely by me.

IA: What song are you the most proud of so far?
TH: A song called “Made Me a Man” that I wrote about a year ago. We actually recorded a demo, but I haven’t put it out yet. I play it at live shows. It is a song that basically walks you through three people in my life that have really developed who I am, my dad’s dad, my dad, and my daughter. It talks about what they taught me, that has shaped the person that I am today.

IA: What is your favorite thing about performing in front of an audience?
TH: When you connect with a crowd. Whether it is five to ten people or every person in the room. If it is one of the songs that I wrote or if it is a cover song that maybe they weren’t expecting, you kind catch their attention. It is that bond that you have with people in a crowd.

IA: What is one of the funniest or craziest things that has ever happened on stage?
TH: Well I have never fallen off stage. I have had plenty of guitar strings break, but that isn’t really funny or crazy. I did have a moment in the middle of a song, where my mind just went blank and I forgot all the words. The band kept playing, and I was just standing there trying to figure out where I was. One of the craziest things that has happened, was when I was playing with my old band, and Josh Thompson joined us for a song. We played one of his songs, with him, in front of a packed house.

IA: I know you mentioned Buddy Holly earlier, who would you say is your favorite artist or musical group?
TH: So many. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with John Mayer. Probably not expected, but I mean the list goes on. Tom Petty, Buddy Holly, George Strait, American Aquarium. It is one of those, if you have to go on an island and you only get one artist’s music collection, I would probably have to go with John Mayer.

IA: What is a Fun Fact that no one knows about you?
TH: I was raised in Indiana, I love the south and southern food. I love playing country music and Americana, but I would say my biggest guilty pleasure, musicality-wise, is listening to the band 311. They are completely on the other end of the spectrum from what I typically listen to and play. People say they don’t like them, and that they only had one song. And I respond, “nope, it is all good.” There is just something about that band.

IA: Is there anything that you want the readers to know about you?
TH: What keeps me doing this, is that there are always people that connect to the songs that I play. Being on that stage it is kind of an out-of-body experience. It is really fun. No matter what I have gone through during the week, or how crappy my day has been, as soon as it is time to play that first song...it always ends up being fun. That is kind of what draws me to it.
       Two years ago I put out an EP; things came up in life that made me focus more on that and my music.  And now, I am getting ready to get out more and play more shows and new music. I am not going anywhere anytime soon; even though sometimes it looks and feels like a grind...it is just too hard to stop.

Find Todd Hurst on Facebook and Instagram @toddhurstmusic for upcoming dates and shows.
www.toddhurstmusic.com



No comments:

Post a Comment