Thursday, May 25, 2017

Up & Coming Talent: Jake Nelson



Tired of that
lackluster nine to five job? Don’t
worry...here is some inspiration to
kickstart your dreams.


     We’ve all seen them. These incredibly talented celebrities out there that are living the dream. They get to do what they love...as a career. Who does that?!
     The answer to that question is...everyone should do what they love. But the faith to follow down that path can sometimes be overwhelming. Will you be able to make a solid career and live off of your dream?
      It has been said that everything that you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear. You need to live fearlessly. Easier said than done, am I right?
      But the truth in the matter is that you don’t get anywhere in life without a little courage. The thought of failure, especially at something  you are passionate about, can cause anyone to have a nervous breakdown. I myself was a little worried about starting my writing career. But you power through any turmoil and nay-sayers, because this is what you want to do. And you CAN do it.
      Whether you are a highly sought-after actress like Sarah Michelle Gellar and want to start a baking business known as Foodstirs, or you are a small town girl with dreams of becoming one of the state’s best wedding planners and create a business called Simply Gypsy Events, you should follow your dreams. Maybe you want to start a calligraphy business called Ivory Ink Co., or you are Reese Witherspoon and you want to start your own clothing line named after your grandparents, Draper James. There are numerous examples of people that actually go for what they want, so why shouldn’t you?
      We chatted with some up and coming stars about their journey with doing what they love to do. These artists are forging their own destiny one show at a time. Audience after audience and song after song, they make their way into hearts of new fans everywhere.
      When you think about all of the people they have met and the places they have seen, who wouldn’t want to follow their path. We spend the majority of our adult, and sometimes adolescent years, at work. So why not enjoy what you are doing. We get this one chance on Earth to make the best of our time here. So, go start following your dreams.



Jake Nelson

 

 

     If you have ever had the privilege of hearing Jake Nelson’s smooth as silk vocal chords at work, then you know as well as we do, that he is going to be making waves in the music industry.
     The Twin Cities area of the Midwest is no stranger to this singer/songwriter.  Opening shows for Sam Hunt, Rodney Atkins, and Thompson Square, this show-stopper has no signs of letting up. We were lucky enough to catch up with Jake to see how he got started and to see if he has any advice for aspiring musicians.

IMPROPER ADULT: Why did you start playing/singing?
JAKE NELSON: Music has always been a big part of my life growing up, even at a young age. My Grandpa played a prominent part in the start of my musical journey whether he knew it or not. I spent a lot of time with him. He always had Frank Sinatra pumping through the speakers. Besides that, I played the trumpet in the middle school band and eventually joined the school choir because that’s where all the pretty girls were.

IA: Does anyone else in your family play or perform?
JN: I am the only “musician” in the family but I do remember my stepdad, Jim, would always be in the kitchen playing a beautiful Fender Stratocaster that I always admired. Jim showed me a few chords, bought me a black fender acoustic guitar, (which I still have today) and with a little guidance I was writing songs at age 13.

IA: You performed with the band Roadhouse 6, what is the drastic difference between playing and singing with them and going it on your own?
JN: Roadhouse 6 was my first band. The difference between playing music with them and doing it on my own would mainly be the creativity. I think the inner singer/songwriter really shines through going at it on my own, and the performer shined through when I was with Roadhouse 6. Performing with Roadhouse 6 for over two years was truly memorable. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The experience has given me knowledge, and guidance that will last a lifetime. The band and I have recently gone our separate ways musically. I have since been forming my dream band with the intention to pursue my original music with a solo career.

IA: What did you love about being in a band?
JN: The best part about being in a band is sharing a love for the same thing. We all love music and everything that comes with it. There is something special about sharing that passion and creativity. There is nothing better than being in a band with people who share those same values and feelings. It’s a family.

IA: What do you enjoy most about writing your own music?
JN: The biggest thing I enjoy about writing my own music is both the creating process and how people connect to the songs. Having someone tell you that one of your songs saved their life, or their marriage, or brought them strength when they were going through chemotherapy, is something bigger than a song. It’s bigger than me. I love that.

IA: What songs that you wrote, are you the most proud of?
JN: A few songs that I am most proud of would be the songs that are bigger than me. Songs like “Life’s Journey,” “Don’t Worry,” “You’re Not Alone,” and “Gold” from a songwriter’s perspective, I feel are pretty special. One song I do tend to look back at and say, “wow, you nailed that one on the head,” would be “Bad News.” The song is timeless; it talks about the world we live in. I wrote it years ago, and it will remain timeless.

IA: What gave you the courage to really chase after your musical career?
JN: In 2014 I had finished college, got a degree in criminal justice with multiple certificates, was working full time, but all of that wasn’t my passion. I knew a career in music wasn’t “practical,” but I remember thinking about giving myself five years. If nothing significant happened I would either find a different path or change my profession. Well we’re three years in and things are pretty exciting. I have achieved things I never thought I was capable of doing, and live comfortably. I’m no millionaire but I am paying my dues as a singer/songwriter/musician and look forward to what happens down the road.

IA: What has been one of your favorite venues to perform at?
JN: I love new venues; it is almost like a fresh start, new ears to perk up, and a new stage. I would have to say one of my favorite venues to play at would be The Cabooze in Minneapolis. There is something nostalgic about that place, knowing the history and talent that has stood on that stage. I don’t take those things lightly. I remember performing there and thinking about the people who have stood there and instantly got butterflies. Good butterflies.

IA: What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I like to stay busy, but when I get some down time I love going camping and boating. Going on road trips, catching a concert, especially discovering local talent, are both enjoyable pastimes for me. I’m big into old cars and car shows, and nothing beats a BBQ and a bonfire on a summer night.

IA: FUN FACT TIME: What is your favorite animal?
JN: Giraffes, Goats, and Penguins – I have told myself I will have a ranch someday, and will have a bunch of fainting goats.

IA: Do you have any advice for aspiring artists?
JN: My advice to aspiring artists would be to never doubt yourself. You’d be surprised in what you are capable of if you try hard enough. Don’t ever give up on your dreams and be sure to set little goals and big goals along the way. Never forget where you came from, and always stay humble.

 Jake released his first self-written/produced album, entitled “Full Swing,” in 2015. His debut studio album will be available this summer.
www.jakenelsonmusic.com






2 comments:

  1. Wait...when did Jake ever open for Sam Hunt?? Do you mean that Sam Hunt was on the main stage and unrelated, on a separate stage for local people, he played a couple of times in the afternoon? Maybe fact check a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J Josephine. Thanks for your comment. Yes, we did indeed fact check. All of our information was obtained by Jake Nelson himself or his website, where you will find all of the national acts that he has opened up for. Thanks for your inquiry.

    ReplyDelete