Wednesday, May 24, 2017

As the Curtain Opens



The best years of your life are said to be the four short years spent at your alma mater. For me, this has never been more true. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. I was involved in every group imaginable from marching band to theater to track. Not to mention everything in between. I spent my days and nights inside those bright red double doors, that provided the entrance to my high school. I would arrive at least a half hour early and not leave until ten o’clock at night. That school was my second home. Those people were my family.


My True Start
I grew up in the city of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It is a small town compared to most, with around 13,000 people. It is one of those places where you know almost everyone. Or you at least know someone that knows someone.
              I spent my childhood out on the softball fields and running down the neighborhood streets. I have always been a people person, so I made friends easily.
While music has always been a part of my life, it wasn’t a part of my social life. I used to sing in the shower and in the car. I took piano lessons, but I wasn't involved with any form of music group before I reached high school.
              In my youth, I lived for the days when our high school show choir would come and perform for my elementary school. Not only did we get to miss class to see the assembly, but we got to see great singers and dancers in pretty sequin costumes.
              Year after year, I would wait as patiently as I possibly could for their performance to come along. As soon as that opening number started to unfold, I knew that this was what I wanted to do.

The Moment of Truth
In the spring of my eighth grade year, I decided I was going to audition for this pristine show choir, known as Harmonics. I searched for song after song, trying my best to find the perfect fit for my voice to sound like that of an angel.
              I ended up selecting “A Part of Your World” from the Little Mermaid. As I stood in front a crowd, larger than I was expecting, nerves had set in. I was as shaky as a china cabinet in an earthquake. I sounded a bit timid, but decent.
              The dance audition was next. I have always been a good dancer, but then, I have always made up my own moves. Being taught on the spot with a half hour of practice, didn’t go as well as I had hoped. I didn’t do terrible, but I also didn’t make the cut to be a part of Harmonics.

All or Nothing
As disappointed as I was my freshman year of high school, I was involved with the music department in many other ways. I auditioned again that Spring with one last ditch hope to make the group. At this point, I had made friends with other singers, who had helped give me an inside scoop on the best ways to audition.
              I danced my heart out and sang my way to a spot on the coveted show choir, with my John Denver rendition of “Leaving on a Jet Plane.”
              The day the list was posted of who all made it, was a day I will never forget. I joined the crowd gathering over the white piece of paper pinned to the bulletin board. On tip-toes, I peered over the shoulder of a fellow choir member. I scanned the list until I saw my name.
             The utter excitement that rushed through me, was a feeling I have yet to experience again. I ran outside on my lunch break, and called my mom to tell her the good news. And good news it was.
             All of my friends were coming up and hugging me, sharing in my joy. I was the superstar of my freshman choir, because I was the only girl in my grade to make the cut.
             There was still another two months of school yet, and the entire summer break, which I should have been looking forward to. But instead, I couldn’t wait to start the next school year, so I could start Harmonics.
            My elementary dreams were finally coming true for me. I was accomplishing what I wanted so much to be a part of.


We’re a Family
Show choir started, just as I’d hoped it would. We were all happy to be together.
              All of us met up at the high school a few weeks before school started to go over the music we would be performing. We sang, laughed, and told stories of summer.
              A few weeks after that we had choreography camp. A grueling four day affair of non-stop dancing and exercise. We would go home at the end of the night, completely drained of all energy.
              As we learned the show, we learned more and more about each other. The past members were eager to get to know us newbies, welcoming us into this elite group of friends.
              As the school year started to progress, we were finally ready to perform our show to family and friends in late Autumn. Months of rehearsals had led us to this first big moment.
             We got into our positions behind the curtain and listened as the MC announced our show choir. The huge heavy red drapes began to open as the combo band started to play the introductory music.
             I was standing on the first riser, thinking I was prepared to perform. Then the butterflies started to flutter in my stomach. Nerves were getting the better of me. As the curtain opened, I got hit in the face by the carpet-like fabric. Reality then hit, literally.
              I was here to show what I had been practicing. My trepidation was replaced with exhilaration. There was so much good energy running through me. It was one of the best experiences of my life.
              Afterwards, I was surprised at how well I actually knew the show. I was confident with what I was doing as I was performing each number.
              Each show came and went as quickly as the blink of an eye. We were spending every waking moment together, when we weren’t in class. The weekends were filled with bus trips and competitions. On weekends off we were at the local restaurant into the early morning hours sipping on shakes and eating fries. We would take turns having group parties at each others houses. We got to know each other better than most college roommates.
              But the years were passing by quickly, taking with them the graduating seniors. New members were coming in, and the family feeling was still there, but each year is was never the same.
We learned to grow up together on our way to adulthood. I attribute much of my upbringing to being a part of this group, this family. The joy of music brought us together, and gave us the best years of our lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment