Thursday, May 25, 2017

Glory Days: Music Festival Gone Awry



Music festivals are a great way to enjoy your summer. If you have the right connections, they are also a great way to make a little extra cash on the side. That happened to be the case with me.
              A buddy of mine worked for a music festival during the summer months, and ask all of our friends if we wanted to work the morning after the festival was over to check people out of their campsites. It would be an easy fifty dollars.
We had done it in the past, and minus the early morning start time, we got to ride golf carts around dirt trails. It was a win-win.
As I was woken up at 4:45 to head to the offices and sign in, I realized very quickly that I was still slightly intoxicated from the night before.
I stood amongst the group trying hard to pay attention to the instructions that they were telling us. Before I knew it, they were handing out walkie-talkies and sending us on our way.
After the first hour, one piece of bread, two bottles of water, and three bathroom breaks later, I was sobered up. Minus the massive headache I was getting, driving the golf cart was turning into fun.
But then, I hit a fence. It wasn’t like there was any damage done, because I was only going a grand total of three miles an hour, but the golf cart wouldn’t start. And I had no way of getting a hold of anyone, because I wasn’t quick enough to get a walkie-talkie.
Finally, my sister noticed me as she was driving around. She stopped and asked what had happened, and then radioed in that the golf cart wouldn’t run.
They came and picked it up, and allowed me to ride shotgun with my sister for the duration of our work day.
Since this incident, I tried working for the festival for a few more years at different positions. I was sent to bartend, but I was overpouring alcohol. So the following year, they put me at the beer tent. But an ex came to where I was working, and I chugged a beer and then threw it up. The year after that, they then put me in the pizza booth.
Needless to say, I no longer try to work for the festival. Am I still going? Yes. But now, I can enjoy myself without worrying about going to my shift. Now I get to day drink, hangout with friends, and listen to some great music. IA
~Stef, Wisconsin


No comments:

Post a Comment