Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Tough 'N' Rough - Golf: An Interview with Tony Nelson



When one drives past a golf course, it seems that there are only retired men on the green. This sport didn’t hold my interest as I didn’t understand the shots and I didn’t think that there were many people my age that played. Boy, was I wrong.
Golf is actually a very interesting sport that is older than most of the other popularly broadcasted sports on cable TV. The first resemblance of golf came about in the mid-sixteenth to early seventeenth centuries along the East coast of Scotland. It was a sport typically played by men, but gained great interest through everyone, men and women alike, including the royals. Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded for playing golf the day after her husband was murdered, along with a few other charges. Once one plays golf, they usually get addicted.
The invention of the gutta percha ball was a turning point in golf’s history as it was cheaper to make and durable, and helped offer golf’s image as a rich man’s past-time.
There are four championships in the sport every year that every golfer wishes to play in. The four are known as the Majors, consisting of The Open, which is referred to as the British Open here in the USA, The US Open, The PGA, and the Masters.
Many successful golfers have played the game; some of the more prominent figures are Arnie Palmer, Tiger Woods, and Jack Nicklaus.  When the television era made its debut, there was one golfer better than the rest of the pack. That was golf star Arnold “Arnie” Palmer. He is considered the greatest role model of any sport ever and transcended the game to be the rising success that it is today.
     Jack Nicklaus was one of the greatest golfers of all time with many honors, records, and wins. Tom Weiskopf said it best, “Jack knew he was going to beat you. You knew Jack was going to beat you. And Jack knew that you knew he was going to beat you.”
     The most famous golfer that will probably be known as the greatest golfer of all time, is of course Tiger Woods. He achieved what most only dream of at a very young age. He was so good that he joined the most elite and exclusive club in the game of golf.
     Tiger woods is one of five members to be in the Grand Slam Winner’s Club. To be a part of this group you need to have won all of the championships in the four Majors. The others with him are Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, and Jack Nicklaus.
Men aren’t the only success story however; the first successful women’s golfer was Joyce Wethered in the early twentieth century. For the past few decades we’ve seen the likes of Annika Sorenstam, Lorena Ochoa, and Michelle Wie power over the LPGA which was established in 1950. Today’s winners receive prize money worth two million dollars or more. Most successful female golfers don’t play in the main male dominated events because the challenge level is harder. But that didn’t stop some, like Sorenstam who made a name for herself.
After doing a little research on the sport, I found out that golfers have a team of people even though it is considered an individual sport. Almost every professional golfer has a caddie, coach, mind coach, and a personal trainer.
     The more that I read up on the sport, the more interested I got. So I decided to ask an expert on the sport and interviewed avid Wisconsin golfer, Tony Nelson to get his opinions about the ever popular game.
What drew you into playing golf?
     I watched my parents play when I was roughly four years old. One day I asked if I could try to swing a club and my dad fabricated a club for me. I was hooked on the first swing.
What is your favorite course that you’ve ever played on?
     Greenwood Hills Country Club in Wausau, WI.
If you could play on any one course no matter where it was, just once, what would it be?
     I would play Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.
Of the Majors, which championships do you like to watch the most: The Open, The US Open, PGA, or the Masters?
     Masters by far. That’s hosted on the Augusta club that I mentioned earlier.



    In your opinion, who is the greatest golfer of all time?
     Tiger Woods
   Have you ever hit a hole-in-one? How hard is it really?
           No I have not. Odds I hear are about 1 in 12,000. You have to have the correct club, perfect swing, judge the wind and weather, and know where to land the ball on the green for it to roll in for a hole-in-one. Not easy, but always exciting.
    Is the proper stance really important in golf?
           Yes! There are a lot of ways to hit a golf ball wrong but only a few ways to hit it right. One wrong positioning or line up and you will be hitting goose eggs.
   Did you play golf in college, and if so, was it pretty competitive?
            Yes. Even at the junior college level it is competitive, everyone wanted to win. Especially the State tournament.
   As I understand it, the modern golf business is pretty high end, with endorsements, clothing lines, and golf equipment. Do you take much stock into what is the “new best” thing?
           I only look into club technology when I feel I need to get a new club. It’s a lot like seeing car commercials on TV. Every brand says they are the best with such and such new features. But, in the end, you have to test out each brand’s club before you make the correct purchase.
   As I myself haven’t heard of any, are there any promising
women golfers? Is it hard for women golfers on main events?
     I knew Annika Sorenstam was big in the 1990s to early 2000s with ten Majors and seventy-two LPGA tour wins, but I haven’t heard of a complete dominate female golfer in some time. I will admit though that I don’t pay too much attention to the LPGA.
    What are you most proud of with your golf experience?
          I would say being a two-time Varsity letter award winner at UW-Barron County. I competed in every match both years and I was the team Captain my second year.
    What is the most enjoyable thing, in your opinion, about golf? And why should others play?
          Golf is universal. What I mean by that is you can be male or female, young or old, competitive or the average joe and enjoy the game. There are high, medium, and low skill level of courses for everyone to enjoy. There are golf pros available for lessons if you’d like or you can learn at your own pace. Everyone can play and enjoy themselves.







Top World golf courses
· Ballybunion, Ireland
· Kingsbarns, Scotland
· St. Andrews, Scotland
· Augusta National, United States
· Les Bordes, France
· Sinnecock Hills, United States
· Fancourt, South Africa
· Sunningdale, England
· Cape Kidnappers, New Zealand
· Cypress Point, United States


Pick up a copy of The Golf Book with introduction by Nick Bradley for anything you need to know about the sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment